29 June 2013

June 29, 2013

I don't know where to begin complaining today, in this journal: my weight? Confidence? Finances? I'm sick of complaining. The purpose of complaining is what exactly? To garner sympathy from others? Support? In the form of agreement? And how does complaining help anyone? It is cathartic to express one's pain or discomfort, but unless you're seeking help from whomever you're complaining to, it's wasted air; and worse, people don't want to be associated, nevermind befriended, by complainers. So why do I do it? I've proven countless times in retrospect, that it never pays off. So should I stop entirely, or ease into it. God knows cold turkey usually fails. Slowly hold back when the urge to share problems arise. Shift the complaint to a question, if indeed it's a complaint worth resolving. If it isn't– if it's some menial thing like the weather or taxes – try to be conscious of this and change the subject entirely, or refocus onto the other person.

I'm no longer seeking a pat on the back in the form of shallow short-lived approval from others. I'm seeking instead a true interest and trusting me. The more interest you show in someone else, the more interested they'll be in you. Shift for me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment